What to Expect When You’re Adopting
If you are considering growing your family through adoption, you may find the early stages of the process overwhelming. The staff at Adoption Partners is available to help educate you on adoption, break down the process into manageable pieces, and provide transparent services throughout your journey.
Adoption Partners is focused on ethical, honest, and affordable adoption services for families of all types. Adoption Partners does not limit applications on the basis of race, color, gender, orientation, religion, or disability. To adopt through Adoption Partners of Maine you must:
- Be at least 25 years old and typically not more than 45 years older than the child you seek to adopt. Actual age requirements depend on the program or country you chose to adopt from.
- Be in good physical, emotional, and mental health; and be able to parent a child.
- Have established and maintained a stable home life for at least two years.
- Have a complete and current home study by a licensed agency that meets state requirements for domestic adoptions, or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements for international adoptions.
- Agree to and sign our positive discipline policy that prohibits use of abusive or coercive discipline for children in the home, including corporeal punishment/”spanking.”
- Meet additional requirements specific to your program of choice.
- Contact our office for more information if you have specific questions or concerns regarding your eligibility.
As an employee-owned, mission driven agency, we are committed to seeing all our families through to an adoption that is right for them.
For many parents, the decision to adopt was reached over time and much soul searching, and it can be surprising to learn how much time is involved once the decision to pursue adoption is made. Adoption Partners offers free, individual prospective parent meetings to help you get all your questions answered and decide if we are the right agency for you.
Adoption Partners offers a variety of services for adoptive parents, ranging from stand-alone services for home studies and post placement supervision to a full service infant placing program. Explore our site for more information on the process, or give us a call at 888-635-6935 or email us at email@example.com.